American Legion Post 191 was established in Marshall, MO in 1931. For nearly 85 years the legion has consistently been involved in patriotic activities and stood firmly for American Freedom. The post puts out American Flags on Flag Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, September 11th and Veteran's Day. The post furnishes flags at the cemeteries on Memorial Day, later picking them up; helps with memorial service on the square on Veteran's Day; provides military services for funerals of Veteran's in Marshall and Saline county; along with other posts sponsor Government Day, which allows students to see county and city offices in operation and visit the fire and police stations as well as the Saline county jail. The post was organized with the following charter members; Albert W. Bowman, William A. Call, L.M. Herridoss, T.W. Huff, Carl A. isaac, John W. John Jr., Novel Knight, S.S. McDonough, C.R. Oquest, Arthur A. Piper, Robert H. Price, Thomas S. Rieman, E.G. Ross, B.E. Shaw, R.S. Tempeton, John A. Thorp.
The earliest meetings were held at the Chamber of Commerce Building and in 1951 the post moved to rooms in McCalls Cafe on the south side of the square. In 1962 the Legion bought the shuffleboards and sports center on East Vest street where they remained until 1996 when the building was sold to Season's restaurant. They moved into another building on 536 N. English street and are now located at 1232 N. Miami Ave.